Summer research

Ivan S. Eubanks ieubanks at pushkiniana.org
Tue May 18 02:42:42 UTC 2010

The professional book scanners designed especially for creating .pdf
files out of books often use a digital slr with a 50mm lens.  The one in
our library specifically employs the Canon rebel (the low end cannon
digital slr).  The scanner literally consists of two such cameras
mounted on arms and pointing down toward the table where the book goes.
I also own a Canon digital slr and do recommend them; the equivalent
Nikon digital camera would also be good.

Photographing books by hand (as opposed to mounting the camera on a
tripod or some other stabilizing device), however, can be difficult with
such a large camera, especially since you don't want to use flash--it
creates a glare on the page.  When traveling, I therefore use a Canon
Powershot SD780 IS Digital Elph.  It takes 12.1 megapixel photos, which
are quite large enough to create beautiful .pdf files, it has the
circumference of a credit card and is about 1/2 an inch thick.  These
small cameras are also much less expensive.  Once more, the equivalent
Nikon would also be worth considering.