another phrase

Nola oothappam at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat May 22 16:49:06 UTC 2010

Maybe it's the Russian version of "fledglings". Fledglings is the word that US Air Force kids were called by their parents( as opposed to their Army counterparts who were affectionately called "brats")
Nola
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Alina Israeli
  To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
  Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 7:06 PM
  Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] another phrase

  I hate to tell you, but it does not look like a bird. Little
  nightingales would be "solovushki". I'd like to know when this film
  was made and where the school was located. The only related word I
  can think of is Savël and now Savëla (http://slovonovo.ru/term/
  Савёла) for Savelovoskij vokzal and the area. Савёл is in
  Большой словарь русского жаргона with the
  meaning of the train station.

  >  I came across another interesting translation re: birds.  It was a
  > documentary about Yuri Gargarin.  The teacher addressed the class
  > of would-be astronauts with the phrase, 'Prevet, sovyolochki'.  It
  > was transalated as 'Hi, eagles'.  I'm not fully aware of the
  > implicature of nightingales and would welcome any comment.

  Alina Israeli
  Associate Professor of Russian
  LFS, American University
  4400 Massachusetts Ave.