Russian reading skills. teaching children.

Romy Taylor romy at PETUHOV.COM
Tue May 25 03:20:55 UTC 2010

Hi Katerina, Nola, all,

The translations of Harry Potter, etc., are not great.  I would
suggest that the introduction of new characters in Russian is an
analogous process to the introduction of new characters in English; he
didn't know Harry Potter before the first book came out, right?
Better to go with great Russian children's literature.  To make
everything more appealing, perhaps a community center, church,
synagogue etc. can link you up with other Russian-speaking families so
he has a peer group, and then organize small-group lessons.  You
should have no problem finding this in the Philadelphia immigrant
community, including plenty of retired schoolteachers, or perhaps your
mother would be good at this.  Russian satellite TV is good too.

Romy Taylor