READING AND CHILDREN

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed May 26 17:26:40 UTC 2010

It's an interesting point you raised about parents and grandparents not necessarily helping.  An issue currently receiving a lot of interest in second language acquisition studies is identity and attitude.  It seems that learner attitudes towards the language, and culture can play a huge role in whether or not acquisition takes place.  Add to the mix self imposed identity and you have a very interesting situation.  Your student from Brighton Beach may have imposed an 'American' identity on him/herself and may also wish to distance him/herself from the heritage community thus creating barriers to language acquisition.  As for submersion in the 'other' language country not having an effect on reading, I am currently carrying out research on the impact of learning context (study abroad) on second language acquisition and preliminary findings suggest that those who spend longer in the target language country are twice as likely to read in the target language.  But, I must stress that the research was carried out on adults who wanted to learn and not on children who may be fighting against the language.

AM