Questions for adult learners who became fluent

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 28 19:07:26 UTC 2010

Hi Nola,
I acquired Russian as an adult and was at one time almost fluent in the language - by that I mean that native speakers didn't immediately recognise me as a non-native speaker.  My current research area is second language acquisition, so, with some degree of confidence, I can advise you that intense contact with the language is necessary.  To quote Anna Pavlenko, 'languages are not contagious'.  Their acquisition requires a blend of cognitive and social factors.  To put it bluntly, study and interaction!  Intensive study helps with the categorical aspects such as the dreaded case system and the equally nightmarish aspects.  The acquisition of these factors will follow a route common to all learners in that the nominative and accusative cases are acquired first, for example and the aspects are late acquired.  Spending time in Russia, or Russian speaking communities, may not have much of an impact on the acquisition of grammar but can have a huge impact on the acquisition of social, or variable, aspects of the language.  However, time spent in Russia is not a panacea.  Mere physical presence in the country means nothing in itself.  What's important is intensity of contact across a range of different social situations.  This range is broadened the longer you stay in the country/community and opportunities for interactional exchanges as opposed to transactional increase hugely.Input alone is inadequate; opportunities for output are also essential
I'm always interested when someone is described as speaking a language perfectly.  It reminds me of My Fair Lady when Eliza is at the ball.  Someone refers to her as speaking English so perfectly that she must be a foreigner!  Native speakers' language contains a lot more 'good' variation than  non-natives and this is what often tells them apart.
My own experience is that I spent 5 years studying the language in university, one year at university in Voronezh (a brilliant, if somewhat scary programme where I had to share a room with Russian speakers) and 5 years living, working, playing, bringing up children in Moscow. Where possible, I stayed away from the expat communities and the majority of my friends were Russians or other Russian speakers.  I also worked in a Russian company.
I will leave you with the 'advice' of a Hungarian I met in Russia .  She stated that there were only two ways to learn a language: libo v kolybele libo v postele. I ya tut ne rodilas'

AM