Boris Godunov and the Tricolor Flag

Frans Suasso franssuasso at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 4 09:17:34 UTC 2010

Op 4-11-2010 5:17, Michael Marsh-Soloway schreef:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I have a question that pertains to the Metropolitan Opera's new production
> of *Boris Godunov*. In the coronation sequence of the Prologue, a procession
> of priests carrying icons, banners, and flags enters from stage left to
> announce Boris Godunov's ascension to the throne. The final participant of
> the ceremonial movement wields a Russian tricolor flag depicting the emblem
> of the golden, two-headed eagle in the foreground. You can view a likeness
> of the flag utilized in the performance
> here<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_the_Tsar_of_Moscow_1668.jpg>.
>

> Would this flag have even existed in Russia during the time of Boris
> Godunov? If not, I'm curious as to whether this detail represents a
> purposeful anachronism. That is, by providing a symbol of Russian statehood
> more widely recognizable to Western audiences, does the director perhaps
> attempt to impart a correspondence between historical and contemporary power
> struggles, i.e. in both the imperial and democratic eras? On the other hand,
> however, maybe the anachronism occurs accidentally and I'm just reading too
> much into this aspect of the performance altogether. What are your opinions?
>

> Thank you.
>
> Sincerely,
> Michael
>
> Michael Marsh-Soloway
> University of Virginia
> Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
> Russian House Language Advisor

>    options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>                      http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

wHhen Peter the Great began developing a navy a, he also needed a flag
for his warships.  He copied it from the dutch but the red top stripe of
the original
  became the bottom stripe.  His sketch of  the flag is preserved.  It
dates from about 1690.

In the second half of the 16th century there was no Russian navy and
therefore no Russian flag.  Godunov  never saw aFRussian flag.

Anachronisms however are pretty common in opera productions. Some  years
ago I saw a production of Tchaikovsky's Mazeppa in Amsterdam, in which
Mazeppa was executed by putting him on the rails in in front of an
approaching electric tram.

Frans Suasso