Boris Godunov and the Tricolor Flag

FRISON Philippe Philippe.FRISON at COE.INT
Thu Nov 4 14:51:03 UTC 2010

Dear Michel,

A very interseting question indeed!

Here is a Web page with Russian flags since Ivan Grozny times :
http://ruek.narod.ru/simvolika/flagirus/flagirus.html

Philippe Frison
(Strasbourg, France)

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Katya Jordan
Sent: Thursday 4 November 2010 15:25
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Boris Godunov and the Tricolor Flag

Dear Michael,

Those are some interesting questions.  The first tricolor flag appeared
in
Peter's time-I believe there is no argument about that among historians.
I do
not pretend to know the mind of those who decided to use a tricolor in
the
production in question, but I would suppose that it was done
deliberately.
Here is why.  I remember in the early 1990s, soon after the Coup, an
actor
Gennady Khazanov doing a stage performance-something like a one-man
comedy routine-where he made fun of politicians of the time, likening
the
time after the coup of 1991 to the Time of Troubles.  Moreover, he
specifically
described "narod" chanting "Borisku na tsarstvo!  Borisku na tsarstvo!"
Of
course, in the 1990s that meant Boris Yeltsin, but the historical
parallel that
Khazanov was making was quite apparent to those familiar with the
Russian
history.  Besides, I can personally attest that the 1990s did indeed
feel like
the Time of Troubles in many ways.

--Katya