Slavic Graduate study at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

Lilya Kaganovsky lilya at ILLINOIS.EDU
Mon Nov 8 16:23:47 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

The Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures of the University
of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) invites applications to our
graduate program from students interested in pursuing the study of
Slavic literatures and cultures. We welcome students with interests in
18th-21st century Russian literature and culture, Polish literature
and culture, concentrations in more than one national literature, and
in interdisciplinary approaches, including cinema and visual culture,
comparative literature and studies in translation, critical theory,
history, and the arts. Qualified students beginning their graduate
career will be offered five years of financial support, including
fellowships, teaching assistantships, summer support, research
assistantships. We welcome applicants who have completed an M.A. in
Slavic Languages and Literatures (or in a related fields) elsewhere.

The faculty of the UIUC Slavic department represent a broad range of
interests and methodological approaches, including the intersections
of literature and law, medicine, and psychoanalysis; Russian-Jewish
Studies; intellectual history; gender, sexuality, and the body;
Stalinist culture; film history and theory; Czech revival culture;
nationalism and literature; Polish modernism, postmodernism, and
visual culture; exilic and émigré literature; and East European pop
culture. We invite you to consult the listing of our faculty, their
research interests, and their recent publications at:

http://www.slavic.uiuc.edu/people/

Our current graduate students are working in areas such as: gender and
women's studies, Ukrainian literature and culture, the society tale,
late Soviet popular culture, contemporary Polish literature and film,
and Jewish Studies.

UIUC has valuable resources for graduate study in the Slavic fields.
The Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center (REEEC), a federally-
funded national resource center established in 1959, sponsors a
variety of programs—including the annual Summer Research Laboratory on
Russia, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia—and funds graduate student
conference travel and fellowships. The Slavic Library is home to the
third largest collection in North America and is the central resource
for the Summer Research Lab. We also maintain close ties with the
Program in Comparative & World Literature, the History Department, the
Unit for Criticism & Interpretive Theory, the Program in Jewish
Culture & Society, and the Department of Media & Cinema Studies.
Departmental collaboration with the newly established Center for
Translation Studies at UIUC offers yet another arena for
interdisciplinary research and acquisition of credentials
complementing the M.A. and Ph.D. in Slavic.  The department regularly
hosts and co-sponsors conferences and participates actively in cross-
campus and interdisciplinary initiatives.

Most students admitted to the program receive teaching assistantships
and gain experience conducting classes at all levels of Russian,
Polish, Ukrainian, Czech, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian/Montenegran,
Bulgarian, Yiddish, or Turkish. There are also opportunities to teach
undergraduate literature and culture courses. Some students gain an
insider’s perspective on scholarly publishing through editorial
assistantships at _Slavic Review_ or internships with the Dalkey
Archive publishing house, now located on campus. The Slavic department
is also able to offer university fellowships and research
assistantships to some incoming and continuing graduate students.
Foreign Language Area Study (FLAS) fellowships administered by REEEC
and the campus European Union Center have consistently provided our
graduate students with funding for both introductory and advanced
training in Slavic languages. University scholarships are available to
minority students. UIUC also offers competitive on-campus and off-
campus dissertation fellowships.

To learn more about the opportunities and resources at UIUC and to
learn how to apply, please visit our website:	http://www.slavic.uiuc.edu/graduate/

The application deadline is Jan. 1, 2011.  We will continue to
consider applications after this date on a case-by-case basis, but
late applicants are likely to have greatly diminished prospects for
financial support.

For questions about our graduate program, please contact:

Lilya Kaganovsky <lilya at illinois.edu>
Director of Graduate Studies

Michael Finke <mcfinke at illinois.edu>
Head, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures

for questions about the application process, please contact:

Lynn Stanke <stanke at illinois.edu>
Graduate Student Services

Lilya Kaganovsky, Associate Professor, DGS
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
217-333-6157