Karamzin's Letters of a Russian Traveler

Matthew Walker mpwalker at wisc.edu
Mon Nov 15 16:38:17 UTC 2010

Another angle to consider, but less Greek and more French: the fact that in the same letter the doctor refers to the body as "our machine" (Когда в машине нашей...), which may be an oblique way of suggesting he is a disciple of La Mettrie and his L'homme machine (1748), one of the classics of 18th c. French materialism, and part and parcel of a view of man that Karamzin and his sentimentalism can be said to be grappling with throughout Letters.

Best,

Matt Walker

On 11/15/10, "Stefani, Sara Marie"  <samastef at INDIANA.EDU> wrote:

> There is also the concept of spleen in Western European literature and culture, with the idea that an overproduction of fluids by this bodily organ can affect one's emotional state. The same idea is present in Dostoevsky's underground man, who is ill (if I remember correctly, he says it's his liver) and this affects his character, making him full of spite. In "Hamlet," one of the characters engages in the "luxury" of a deep sigh, because at the time it was thought that the body only had a certain amount of breath or spirit, and that by sighing one was shortening one's life.
>
> I haven't researched any of this (so take all this with a grain of salt), but all these ideas seem to be connected to ancient Greek ideas about medicine - namely, the concept of the four humors in the body and the belief that overproduction of one of the four fluids impacts a person's mental and emotional state. Our good friend wikipedia says this under the entry "humoral medicine":
>
> "From Hippocrates onward, the humoral theory was adopted by Greek, Roman and Islamic physicians, and became the most commonly held view of the human body among European physicians until the advent of modern medical research in the nineteenth century."
>
> Obviously, you'd want to check up on this through more reliable routes, but at least it offers some kind of explanation to your question.
>
> Good luck,
> sms

Matthew Walker
Ph.D. Candidate/TA
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1467 Van Hise Hall
mpwalker at wisc.edu