The Birch: Update and Call for Submissions

Tanah Spencer tanah.spencer at MAC.COM
Mon Nov 15 19:43:45 UTC 2010

Columbia University’s The Birch is the nation'’s first undergraduate journal of
Eastern European and Eurasian culture, founded in 2004.  In an effort to
maintain the quality of our journal, we have elected to produce a larger, single
issue that will be available for students in the spring instead of two, smaller
issues typically distributed in the fall and spring.  This decision was made
primarily to allow contributors to have more time to develop their ideas and
projects so that we can continue to produce a journal that students look
forward to engaging with, cherish, and respect.

Our publication retains the same structure.  It consists of three sections:
Creative Writing (poetry, prose, non-fiction essays), Literary Criticism, and
Culture & Affairs (including historical and political analysis). We also welcome
original photography, translations, and political cartoons.

For this year’'s issue, we encourage undergraduate students to submit high-
quality pieces of 1500-2000 words. We particularly seek writing on less-
explored topics as well as articles on current affairs in the region.  While most
of our content is in English, we look forward to reading submissions written in
Russian or other languages of the region and envision an issue that is less
Russo-centric.

If your students are unfamiliar with The Birch, we kindly suggest that you tell
them to visit our website, http://www.thebirchonline.org, where they can read
a selection of past issues, or visit our blog,
http://www.thebirchjournal.blogspot.com/.

We hope some of your undergraduates will take advantage of this opportunity
and submit to us at thebirchjournal at gmail.com by February 14, 2010.  Please
note that all submissions should include the writer’s name, e-mail address,
and institution.