More potential language program cuts

Ruder, Cynthia A Cynthia.Ruder at UKY.EDU
Fri Oct 8 02:17:23 UTC 2010

Colleagues:  I received the following information about two institutions and thought I would pass it on to the list.  Best, Cindy

Yet another request for a letter of support. Howard University is currently threatening to close down the Russian and German language majors. Russian is currently run by one non-tenure track lecturer -- me. Since I have been allowed to work full time on Russian, however, we have finally started to have majors filing for Russian -- three this year alone-- a great improvement seeing how we had none for I do not know how long.
Howard is  Historically Black University located in Washington DC. The population it serves is so underrepresented in a field that is not so common to start with would make you think that alone would merit having the program, wouldn't you?
Anyways, anyone who could send a letter of support with copies to the following would be appreciated:
PCAR.Comments at gmail.com<mailto:PCAR.Comments at gmail.com> <mailto:PCAR.Comments at gmail.com> Presidential Commission on Academic Renewal
vwhite-jackson at howard.edu<mailto:vwhite-jackson at howard.edu> Vernessa White Jackson, coordinator, German and Russian
jdavis at howard.edu<mailto:jdavis at howard.edu> James Davis, Ph. D., Chair, department of World Languages and Cultures
athornton at howard.edu<mailto:athornton at howard.edu> Associate Provost, chair, PCAR
Thanks
Amarilis Lugo de Fabritz
Lecturer, Howard University

According to the latest issue of The Language Educator, Louisiana State U. is cutting four languages:  Russian, Japanese, Portuguese, and Swahili.  They will
now only offer degrees in French and Spanish, while offering some courses in German, Latin, Greek, Hebrew, and Italian.  14 faculty members are being let go in January 2011.
 (The Language Educator is put out by ACTFL.)

Cynthia A. Ruder, Associate Professor
University of Kentucky
MCL/Russian & Eastern Studies
1055 Patterson