FW: Russian Guitar Festival, October 14-17, Iowa City and Cedar Rapids

Golz, Sabine I sabine-golz at UIOWA.EDU
Sat Oct 9 15:23:15 UTC 2010

Hi Mark,

this Oleg writing from Sabine's account.  For more info see my page www.semistrunka.com

You outline two viable options, but...  the tuning of the Russian guitar is completely different from either of them.  It's tuned from bass to treble:
DGBdgbd', or what is often called "open G tuning."

Predictably, many Russian tunes are actually in minor, and it may come across as a great surprise that the tuning is the way it is.    Let me just say a couple additional words about it, although to approach it in depth would require many pages.

1.  At the end of the 18th century, there were French and Italian guitarists in Russia's two capitals, playing the European variety of the instrument -- the "normal" guitar -- that at the time was 5-string, Adgbe'.
2. There were also Polish and Czech musicians who used the so-called "English guitar," or a wire-strung, pear-shaped cittern always tuned to a major chord (C, A, or G).
3. The Russian guitar was apparently developed as a hybrid, already on the Russian soil.  The first publications had recognizably Czech or Polish names on them, such as the recently-rediscovered Sonata for violin and seven-string guitar by Joseph Kamensky (1799).
4. Gradually, the instrument was becoming more and more Russian, both in terms of its vast repertoire and the place in the culture.
5. All the major Soviet bards of the 60s and 70s (Galich, Okudzhava, Vysotsky) played the Russian seven-string guitar.

I hope this gives you some useful info.
Most sincerely,
Oleg Timofeyev

Associate Professor Sabine I. Gölz
Department of Cinema and Comparative Literature
The University of Iowa