Closure of Russian, French, Italian and Classics at SUNY-Albany

Henryk Baran hbaran at VERIZON.NET
Wed Oct 13 18:02:08 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

members of this list have become familiar with the planned closure of
Russian, French, Italian and Classics programs at the University at
Albany, and it is thanks to the initiative of members of this list that the
online petition protesting the cuts has no amassed thousands of
signatures.

At the Albany campus, there is much activity, student and faculty, in
support of the threatened programs, and colleagues in various fields of
the humanities around the world have written to the campus
administration decrying its decision - taken, as is now confirmed by
recently published documents - not so much in response to budget
constraints, but as part of a plan to redirect resources to other fields.

It is impossible to predict what might result from the various campaigns
will have on the situation at the University at Albany, but I and my
colleagues in the several programs, as well as our students, would be
grateful if members of this list would send letters directly to the key
administrators responsible for the situation. The specifics of such letters
I leave to potential authors, and only suggest that the texts be brief
and that all the language areas affected by the cuts be specifically
included.

Here are the addresses of administrators responsible, to a greater or
lesser degree, for the decision to further demolish the humanities at
SUNY-Albany:

George Philip, President: presmail at uamail.albany.edu

Catherine Herman, Vice-President: cherman at uamail.albany.edu

Susan Phillips, Provost: provost at uamail.albany.edu

Edelgard Wulfert, Dean of Arts & Sciences: ewulfert at uamail.albany.edu

For paper mail:
Office of the President / Vice-President / Provost
University Administration Building
State University of New York
State University of New York
Albany, NY 12222

and

Office of the Dean
Arts & Sciences Building
1400 Washington Avenue
State Unversity of New York
Albany,  NY 12222

I would also suggest that copies of the letters be send to the following
address:

Carl T. Hayden, Chairman, Board of Trustees, SUNY
trustees at suny.edu

Many thanks in advance

Henryk Baran
University at Albany, SUNY