Study Russian outside Russia

Ian baiterek at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 18 12:32:27 UTC 2010

Dear Otto,
I am not sure that something would happen in St. Petersburg, but it is certainly true that people of Asian appearance are stopped by the police very regularly and attract some unwanted attention.  I had a very positive study abroad experience in Almaty, Kazakhstan.  Almaty is very racially mixed and people are very used to seeing people of all different backgrounds (with the one exception being people of African background).  I am currently in Kazan and can't say I have seen the same racial profiling I have seen in St. Petersburg, but at the same time it isn't as diverse as Almaty.  I don't think L'viv would be a good idea if only because it is really a center of Ukrainian language and not Russian.
Best,
Ian