Russian Forenames

Stephanie Briggs sdsures at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 19 11:21:05 UTC 2010

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a list of Russian forenames,
and explanations as to why these names are used over and over for Russians,
Ukrainians, etc. ie Tatiana, Olga, Ekaterina, Ivan...one of my professors
years ago talked anout why the names are seen as "standard" Russian names,
but the reason escapes me. Also, at some point there was an effort to make
new names, which resulted in some pretty weird patronymics ("Elevatorovich",
Traktorovich"), so they went back to the standard names.

Stephanie (who is moving from Scotland to the Midlands on Friday - eek!)

~Stephanie D. (Sures) Briggs
http://sdsures.blogspot.com/

Come have a look at my handmade knitted afghans and scarves!
THIRD SALE: 06/08/10!
http://warmochfuzzy.etsy.com/