New book--MEMOIR OF A GULAG ACTRESS by Tamara Petkevich

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Wed Oct 20 22:21:29 UTC 2010

Dear Roman,

Thank you very much for the information on the publication of the
English edition of Tamara Petkevich's memoirs. It's wonderful news.
I'm not sure whether you are interested in some TV programmes related
to Petkevich, but I would like to draw your attention  to a very
interesting programme dedicated to  Petkevich's 90th-birthday that
features Boris Averin:http://www.tv100.ru/video/view/28368/
Averin made his own documentary on Petkevich: it was shown on the TV
channel "Kul'tura" on 02. 04.2010. In this documentary film -- titled
"Odin chelovek" (from the cycle of programmes "Peterburgskie
intelligenty") Tamara Petkevich talks in a very moving manner about
the Gulag theatre where she worked as an actress. She mentions
Tsvetaeva's daughter ? Ariadna Efron ? as one of the
participants/actresses of this theatre. The description of the
programme is available
here:http://www.tvkultura.ru/news.html?id=436810&cid=54
It's a pity that the title of the book "Zhizn' ? sapozhok neparnyj"
?that alludes to Tsvetaeva's poem "Molodost'" ? had to be changed into
a more simple title "Memoir of a Gulag Actress".

All best,
Alexandra

-- ----------------------
Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Reader in Russian Studies
Department of European Languages and Cultures
School of  Languages, Literatures and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9JX
UK

tel. +44-(0)131-6511381
fax: +44- (0)131 -651 -1482
e-mail: Alexandra.Smith at ed.ac.uk

Quoting Roman Utkin <roman.utkin at YALE.EDU>:

> Dear SEELANGers,
>
> Please note that Tamara Petkevich's Memoir of a Gulag Actress (title
>  in Russian:
> Zhizn' - sapozhok neparnyi) has been just published in an English translation
> done by Yasha Klots and Ross Ufberg.
>
> You can learn more on the publisher's website:
>
> http://www.niupress.niu.edu/niupress/scripts/Book/bookresults.asp?ID=568
>
> Thank you,
>
> roman utkin

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.