Thanks, and further question: Paraskeva

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Tue Oct 26 16:24:32 UTC 2010

Thank you to all the colleagues who replied so promptly to my question
about the church. It does exist: Nikolai v Khamovnikakh (not
Mozhaisk), who served as patron to weavers (not tanners).

I have another question, this one about St. Paraskeva.

Last week-end we took our students to the Museum of Russian Icons in
Clinton, Mass. The museum houses its own private collection and is
currently hosting a small but impressive exhibit of Icons from the
Andrei Rublev museum in Moscow.

Among others, they had a gorgeous icon of St Paraskeva, Novgorod, last
quarter of the 16th century. It is large-ish, 3-4 feet or so by 3. It
is a pretty standard depiction, but I could not find it in Google
images. She is depicted full front, to the waist. She appears to be
looking past the viewer, not at her/him. No angels or crowns, just the
nimbus. Her cloak, which also covers her head, is bright red (for
martyrdom?). The background is a deep bluish green. She holds an
Eastern cross in her right hand and in the left a scroll, whose words
the Museum's book identifies as the Nicene creed. So, pretty standard
iconography, except for the background color.

My question is about the "original" saint.
I've read about a St Paraskeva, a Roman martyr of Greek heritage, she
of the boiling oil. There's also the later Balkan ascetic St
Paraskeva, or Paraskeva-Petka (like the Russian Paraskeva-Piatnitsa),
whose images sometimes carry a _Western_ cross. And another Roman-area
martyr, "a third-century martyr from Iconium, a favorite of Russians,
who consider her the patron saint of traders and guardian of family
happiness." [Orthodox America]

Does anyone know more about this? Clearly the biographies refer to
three different women, assuming they existed in history. Is the one
venerated in Russia a conflation of them, or is she known to be one as
opposed to the other, and does it matter? Linda Ivanits suggests that
the Russian version is a composite and informed by older pagan cults;
her day is Oct 28, which corresponds to neither of the first two, the
more famous ones.

I'm curious whether any one out there has further information, or
thoughts, about the original saint or the iconography.

Finally, if you're not familiar with this "little" local museum,
http://www.museumofrussianicons.org/

Thanks,
-FR

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor