Slavic ethnomusicology

Goldberg, Stuart H stuart.goldberg at MODLANGS.GATECH.EDU
Tue Oct 26 18:47:32 UTC 2010

For those interested in contemporary music, Martin Daughtry (NYU) is wonderful.  He works, among other things (like sound in conflict zones) on the Russian contemporary bard scene (those pushing the envelope of avtorskaia pesnia).

----- Исходное сообщение -----
От: "Kevin Moss" <moss at MIDDLEBURY.EDU>
Кому: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Отправленные: Вторник, 26 Октябрь 2010 г 12:35:16
Тема: Re: [SEELANGS] Slavic ethnomusicology

I have not one but TWO graduates currently doing ethnomusicology in
grad school, one at Illinois-Urbana, the other at Indiana.

Compiling their responses, which repeat some of the recommendations
here:

Ohio State with Margarita Mazo springs to mind. Depends a little
whether you're anthro-oriented (if so, Mazo would be great) or lean
more toward Russian art music, in which case Richard Taruskin at UC
Berkeley is your guy.

You might join the Society for Ethnomusicology, or at least check out
the website/journal if you haven't already.

For ethno programs in general, some good schools whose programs I
hear about often include UCLA, IU Bloomington and U of Illinois
Urbana-Champagne.

To add to Maggie's suggestions for people who work specifically with
Slavic stuff, there's also Donna Buchanan (U of Illinois Urbana-
Champagne) and Tim Rice (UCLA) who both work in Bulgaria, Martin
Daughtry (NYU - Russian stuff) and Mark Slobin (Wesleyan - Klezmer).
I don't know to what, if any, extent they are still working in the
region; they're just some of the names I've come across.

I second the Society for Ethnomusicology suggestion. I think the
website even lets you do keyword searches for society members based
on their reported research interests, but that feature's only
accessible to members. Nice way to find Slavicists, though.

Oh, also Natalie Kononenko (Ukrainian minstrelsy and folklore) at the
University of Alberta.