Лететь НА / В са мо лёте?

John Dunn j.dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Thu Oct 28 09:01:11 UTC 2010

In 1970 there was a building in Rostov-on-Don which was adorned with a large neon sign bearing the simple slogan: Летайте самолетом!  They may, I suppose, have been mindful of the alternatives suggested by Tony Vanchu, though somehow I doubt it: Rostov airport wasn't that well equipped.

To revert to an earlier topic, an obituary of the film director Igor Talankin, published in The independent, has given me a partial answer to the question why I have never met anyone called Traktor; apparently his real name was Industry (presumably Индустрий):
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/igor-talankin-soviet-director-known-for-his-second-world-war-morality-films-2117250.html>

John Dunn.
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Vanchu, Anthony J. (JSC-AH)[BARRIOS TECHNOLOGY] [anthony.j.vanchu at NASA.GOV]
Sent: 27 October 2010 19:48
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Лететь НА / В са мо лёте?

We're partial to raketoi, Soyuzom, kosmicheskim korablyom, and, at least for a little while longer, Shattlom, here...

Tony Vanchu
TechTrans International, Inc.
Director, JSC Language Education Center
NASA Johnson Space Center
Houston, TX

In most cases the samolet is redundant anyway - how else would you fly?
Will