Russian grammatical questions: Alaska and Hawaii

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Fri Oct 29 17:50:52 UTC 2010

I thought na Gavajjax was the older, more formal form.
I have also heard v Gavaji, though never v Gavajjax.
This in Honolulu, from Russians visiting as well as from the local
Russia speakers (absolutely, they do exist).

My current assistant Alla does not like v, she says na is logical
because it's islands.

I guess it is declined beause it was treated as a plural.
Somewhat logical, since the original is Hawai'i, with the second i
clearly separated from the diphthong before it. (Not like Mississippi
or Missouri which cannot logically pass for a plural?)

-FR

>Dear Seelangers,
>
>I've seen both prepositions v and na used before Alaska.  Are both
>acceptable or would v Aliaske be considered a substandard form?  I'm
>assuming that it's historically been "na Aliaske", but that the
>speakers have gradually been replacing na with v--is that the case?
>Is there any difference in meaning?
>
>Along those lines, I've always thought that Hawaii was indeclinable,
>but I'm finding examples in which it is declined using plural forms.
>Are both options correct?
>
>Thank you in advance!
>
>Adrienne M. Harris, Ph.D.
>Assistant Professor of Russian