Russian grammatical questions: Alaska and Hawaii

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Oct 29 19:30:39 UTC 2010

Nor can Nagasaki or Helsinki, but v Khel'sinkakh and v Nagasakakh, and
even v Karachakh and v Deliakh are quite common even in formal Russian.
I have no idea if any of these was originally a plural in the source
language, like v Del'fakh or v Afinax, but the force of analogy is
always strong. Perhaps rivers are less prone to this than towns because
there is no classical model (that I can think of)?

Will