Russian grammatical questions: Alaska and Hawaii

John Dingley jdingley at YORKU.CA
Fri Oct 29 23:16:10 UTC 2010

Hi,

"Helsinki" is singular in Finnish. In point of fact this toponym is
Scandinavian of origin, having to do with "Helsingland", cf. modern
Swedish "Helsingborg", modern Danish "Helsingør" ("Elsinore" in
English). The Swedish name for "Helsinki" is "Helsingfors", where
"fors" means "rapids".

By the way, isn't "Xel'sinki", more often than not, indeclinable
in modern Russian? E.g. "Ona zhivet v Xel'sinki".

John Dingley