Fish translated into English

Paul Richardson paulr at RUSSIANLIFE.NET
Wed Sep 1 17:36:39 UTC 2010

Russian Life books today announces the release of its new English translation of Peter Aleshkovsky's Russian Booker shortlisted novel, "Fish: A History of One Migration."

This mesmerizing novel from one of Russia’s most important modern authors traces the life journey of a selfless Russian everywoman. Suffering through rape, abuse, dislocation and exile, Vera ("Faith" in Russian) personifies Mother Russia's torment and resilience amid the Soviet disintegration.

"We tend to forget that ten years ago, for hundreds of millions of people, the world was falling apart," said Publisher Paul Richardson. "Aleshkovsky’s intense novel recalls that era with honesty and power, but not by dwelling on the sort of big events reported in the media. Instead, Fish focuses on how those events shaped and altered individual lives, how one woman navigated through that very difficult time."

Peter Aleshkovsky has written a dozen novels, mainly in the realistic tradition, displaying a mastery of evocative detail and gripping narrative. The male author’s ambitious and rare choice of a first-person, female narrator makes Fish all the more significant as a work of world fiction.

"Aleshkovsky’s range in Fish truly reflects the distance his heroine travels and the incredible diversity of people and places she encounters," said translator Nina Shevchuk-Murray. "Every time I turned to the text, it surprised and challenged me in a new way."

This is Aleshkovsky's second novel translated into English. His most recent novel, "The Dark Side of the Moon," came out in Russia on the same day as Fish arrived in the U.S. in English.

For more information about the book, visit:
http://www.russianlife.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=196

"Fish" is also available on Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/Fish-History-One-Migration-ebook/dp/B0041HXKAU

For more information about Peter Aleshkovsky and his work, visit:
http://www.peteraleshkovsky.com