Russians seem to avoid using N, S, E, W

amarilis amarilis at BUGBYTES.COM
Thu Sep 2 15:29:06 UTC 2010

It is definitely a regional thing. I went to high school in New England,
where roads are old and windy, so no one thinks to say "go north" or "go
south" unless you are on a federal highway.

My husband, a Midwesterner, however, as well as my in-laws, always talk
in terms of north, south, east and west and are very confused if they
cannot figure out which cardinal directions they face.

Amarilis