Russians seem to avoid using N, S, E, W

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Thu Sep 2 16:34:49 UTC 2010

A Russian friend of mine who spends a lot of time in England on
research mentioned to me once that she had come to the following
explanation:

Russian settlement has taken place along rivers, so that directions are
up and down along the particuar river: NIZHNIJ Novgorod, VERXNIJ
Ust-Ulimsk(?), ZAmoskovie, ZAvolzh'e, etc.

Melissa Smith

On 9/2/10 12:14 PM, R. M. Cleminson wrote:
> Many American cities are on a grid plan with streets orientated
north-south or east-west; moreover, if you're in New York, for example,
you know that if it's a street, it's (roughly) east-west, the higher
numbers being further north, and if it's an avenue it's (roughly)
north-south, the higher numbers being further west.  Therefore compass
directions are useful and comprehensible in this environment.
Elsewhere in the world, as a rule, streets are neither straight nor
orientated, and so even if you knew where north was when you started
out, after a few twists and turns you probably don't any more, and
neither does the person you're asking for directions.

-

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor
Department of Foreign Languages and