Russian Equivalent?

Roman Ivashkiv roman.ivashkiv at UALBERTA.CA
Thu Sep 2 19:45:11 UTC 2010

Dear Dr. Krafcik,
I am really curious to see suggestions from more experienced colleagues that
would be idiomatically closer to your English slogan, but in the context of
cross-country running, here are a few options:

Бежать до конца - не потерять лица!
Умереть - добежать, вторым не стать!
Бежал по делу - гуляй смело!
Беги, давай, не отставай!
Хоть ноги изломать, но первым добежать!
Бежать! Не проиграть! Твою мать! (This may be a little too "slangy" for high
school, though).
Нас не догонят! (That's from "ТАТУ," so, although it works well
contextually, one may need to be careful with associations, etc)

I hope this helps a little bit. If not, maybe it'll spur more ideas.

Sincerely,
Roman Ivashkiv

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Krafcik, Patricia
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 10:20 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Russian Equivalent?

Quick Question, Colleagues:

My son's cross-country running friends at high school want to place on their
T-shirts the Russian equivalent of this phrase: "Go big or go home!" meaning
"Do it all the way or don't do it at all!" or something to this effect. I've
gotten
suggestions from friends, but our efforts thus far seem simply too literate,
and not "slangy" enough. Is there some way to express this idea in good
Russian
slang?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Pat Krafcik