Russians seem to avoid using N, S, E, W

Charles Mills bowrudder at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 3 05:06:37 UTC 2010

My impression is that astronomy and orienteering are not universal skills.
 Think of what relative recent original the coordinate system is, how
culture-specific it is (essentially an artifact of seafaring), how abstract
it is, and how -- as numerous people here have pointed out -- of its dubious
value in the context of a city not laid out on a grid.  I am a sea kayaker
in my free time, so I am fairly well versed in the black art of navigation
by chart and compass.  That said, on dry land living on a curved bay is
enough to drive you to distraction.  Short of carrying a compass or making
reference to the sun or direction of the clouds, it's almost impossible to
keep track of which way is north as you make your way around the bay.  It's
always changing.  The same would apply to a historic city like Moscow that
grew in concentric circles.  So I'm not surprised by that.

My dismay has been rather at Russians' unfamiliarity with the culture of
maps.  I will never forget the day I handed my map to a man on the street as
I asked for directions in Leningrad.  First he turned it one way.  Then
another.  Then another again.  It was almost comical as he tried to get his
bearings.  I got the impression that he had never held a map before, and
that was not untypical.  I came away with the impression that Russians
simply use maps less.  But, like taxi drivers, the typical urban Russian
carries a huge spacial representation of the city in his or her head.  For
example, every Russian in Petersburg knows exactly which car on the subway
to get on -- down to the door -- to get off at such-and-such a station and
transfer to another line with the fewest steps.

C. Mills
Monterey