Russians seem to avoid using N, S, E, W

Kenneth Brostrom kbrostrom0707 at COMCAST.NET
Fri Sep 3 08:48:45 UTC 2010

As an old friend and native Detroiter pointed out to me some time
ago, the East Side of Detroit is a basic grid, but the streets run
from west southwest to east northeast, and from south southeast to
north northwest.  The early French settlers came up with this scheme
in order to have the former streets parallel the Detroit River. The
Germans, however, developed the West Side, and there the street grid
is true north-south and east-west.  Where the two sides meet in the
middle is an often confusing muddle, a mute and lasting testament to
cultural conflict, and a perfect place in which to get lost on a dark
and stormy night.  I speak from unhappy experience. Coming from a
Scando-Germanic background, whenever I leave the East Side, that zone
of Gallic whimsicality, and enter the West Side with its Teutonic
good sense, I heave a huge sigh of relief, and my well trained car
with me.  And it is westward ho! back home to Ann Arbor.

Cheers,
Ken Brostrom