Russians seem to avoid using N, S, E and W

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Fri Sep 3 12:50:12 UTC 2010

Where I live (northeast Ohio) I am confused by how many people don't use directions either. If you tell me turn right on such and such street, then I go too far or there's construction, I now have no idea which way to get back on the road if you have not told me go east on it. We have a big lake here, to the north, and a pretty distinct division between west side and east side. Heck, the address numbers even conveniently go up on major streets as you're going east away from downtown and west away from downtown the other way, so to me it's not too hard to figure out which direction one is traveling but others may not carry the same mental map. On the other hand, within the home my mental map breaks down and I couldn't tell you, for example, what part of the basement the furnace sits underneath but would have to be told "go right at the stairs, then left" etc. So perhaps it comes down to one's ability, innate or developed, to picture spatial relations in
 a particular context.

Deborah Hoffman, Esq.
Russian > English Translator

On 9/2/10 2:43 PM, Richard Robin wrote:
> The fact that Russians don't use compass directions has always been
> frustrating to me. Whenever I come out of a Moscow metro station that
I have
> never seen before, my first instinct is to try and figure out where
north
> is. If I know that, I can find almost anything. But alas, on a cloudy
day or
> at night, with no sun for guidance, I know that no one I ask will be
able to
> tell me where north is. Of course, in the northern part of the city, I
can
> use Ostankino as a marker. But elsewhere it's hopeless. Maybe I should
carry
> around a compass.
>
> Perhaps I'm atypical, even for an American. My wife is ready to
divorce me
> every time I say something like "It's on the southeast corner of
Wisconsin