Coredemptrix

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Sun Sep 5 01:15:19 UTC 2010

Coredemptrix is purely RC. Mediatrix is Zastupnitsa (the intercessor) or Predstatel'nitsa.
There are more poetic and liturgically common epithets (not as dogmatic but very common in addressing Her), where She is compared to the burning bush--containing God without being consumed by Him--the Red Sea--opening and closing for the salvation of Israel, without any traces; the Heavenly Door, the Ladder of Jakob, uniting earth to Heaven; orudie Spaseniia nashego (the instrument of our Salvation), etc. These liturgical texts are called... the Dogmatika (the last stichera of the Lord I cal upon Thee... in the Vespers, but actually hymns, not dogmatic texts--typically for Orthodox liturgical poetics.