Skazki

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Mon Sep 6 11:16:21 UTC 2010

Dear Olga and all,

I had decided against Kodryanskaya, but I may be open to persuasion,
particularly if you name individual stories you especially love.

At present the only avtorskie skazki I am including are those by Pushkin,
Teffi, Bazhov and Platonov.  Everything else will be narodnye skazki from
Afanasyev, Khudyakov, Onchukov, Ozarovskaya, Karnaukhova, etc.  And I have
already found so much wonderful material in these collections that I am
reluctant to sacrifice it in order to include more avtorskie skazki.

I had, until recently, been meaning to include Shergin, but - for all the
liveliness of his language - I don't feel he shares Platonov's or Bazhov's
ability to penetrate into the heart of traditional skazki and somehow to
open them up, to reveal meanings that were already present but only
implicity.

All the best,

Robert