Tolstoi and Austen

cn29 at COLUMBIA.EDU cn29 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Sep 7 21:45:55 UTC 2010

Dear Edie,

Having spent a fair amount of time researching Austen in Russia, I
have found no evidence of Tolstoi having read Jane Austen.  Moreover,
the main librarian at Yasnaya Polyana has assured me that there is no
mention of Austen in Tolstoi's writings.  I would be happy to share
with your friend what I have published on the history of Austen in
Russia.  Best wishes, Cathy
--
Catharine Nepomnyashchy
Ann Whitney Olin Professor and Chair, Slavic Department