Tolstoi and Austen

Simon Beattie Simon at SIMONBEATTIE.CO.UK
Wed Sep 8 09:41:40 UTC 2010

How nice.  Another copy of "Anna" was recorded as being in the library of
the Studenterforeningen, Copenhagen, in the nineteenth century, but is
apparently no longer in the collection.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Jan Zielinski
Sent: 08 September 2010 10:29
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Tolstoi and Austen

Simon Beattie pisze:

> Thanks, Jan.  It's interesting to know about another copy.  My informal
> census is based on work done when the British Library acquired its copy
some
> years ago.

The book was most probably already there, but not yet visible in the
on-line catalogue. You may be interested in the fact that the novel
belonged to the local Reading Society (Lesegesellschaft), founded 1787
by Isaac Iselin, which means it most probably circulated among the XIXth
century reading public in Basel. The Society still exists, in the same
place near the Cathedral since 1832:

http://www.lesegesellschaft-basel.ch/ueber/geschichte.htm

Jan