Maxime Shottland

Jan Zielinski zielinski at GMX.CH
Thu Sep 9 16:18:48 UTC 2010

Simon Beattie pisze:
> Has anyone on the list ever come across a writer called Maxime S[c]hottland?
> A short report in The New York Times from June 1908 calls him "a young
> Russian author who has passed most of his life in England and America" who
> is about to open a theatre in Paris "where an English or American author is
> able to produce pieces debarred by the prudery of London or New York".  The
> only published work of his I can find is "The Iron Passport" (presumably a
> novel) from 1914.   I have also found newspaper reports cited online for
> various court cases, but I haven't verified those yet.
>

> Has anyone ever heard of him?

It's me again, Simon.

It was a colourful person, it seems.

He used sometimes "Maximilian" and "Maxime-Milian" (!) as forms of his
first name and "Baron Maxime de Sheyder Shottland" as his title.

On November 24, 1911, he appeared at the Jefferson Market Court (NY) to
defend the honour of his guest, Mrs Alma Hayne, "who would have it that
she is the granddaughter of Franz Joseph of Austria and the daughter of
Crown Prinz Rudolph and Baroness Marie Vetzera" ("N.Y.T."), apparently
insulted by a hotel manager.

Until 1914 he was co-proprietor of the paper "The Tourist" in London.
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28837/pages/4498/page.pdf

His wife's portrait, an expresssive pastel done by Ossip Perelman, was
shown at the Knoedler Galleries in New York in November 1916.

He received a bankruptcy order in London in December 1916:
http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/13028/pages/2379/page.pdf

In October 1917 a judgement was filed against him in New York County by
H. Miller et al. for USD 174.60.

And so on and so forth.

Hope that helps,

Jan.