Russian handwriting in US classrooms in the computer age

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Thu Sep 9 18:46:32 UTC 2010

I waste zero time teaching cursive--they need to learn to recognize Russian handwriting (I write on the board) but I think teaching пропись is a waste of valuable resources.

Some students WANT to learn it, and I help them out. But for all written work I accept printed (печатные буквы) Russian. I send 4-6 students a year to Russia and I've never heard a complaint.

One of my first assignments is for them to download an ASDF keyboard (like Russian for Gringos) or use translit.ru and type me a message. We do a lot of free-writing and I require all of it to be sent by email to me for correction.

Finally, I'm slowly moving away even from worrying about typing skills and encouraging students to record dialogues, essays, even their homework assignments. It's something new for me this year, aided in part by the great site vocaroo.com, which allows students to make quick recordings online and post them easily. I'm requiring them to submit the audio files through our class blog (bearinahat.blogspot.com) so they don't fill my inbox. (You can see a few early submissions there already--mostly recordings of poetry.)

This move to recordings is a response to changes in the ways that students communicate: I asked my students recently about their email habits. To a one, they said "The only time I use email is to communicate with my professors."  Gosh, I'm so old I remember email being new.

Times they are a'changin...

Oh, and, if you DO still teach handwriting, I cannot recommend highly enough the very cool Primo and Tempo fonts here:
http://nekin.narod.ru/e25.htm

They're true handwriting fonts, and use a complex macro to connect letters using a variety of liaisons. You'll need to download the documents and fonts, read the instructions carefully. But the results are really impressive--perfect Russian handwriting. I've posted a couple examples here:
http://tinyurl.com/33gpr22

~mad

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
   Dr. Michael A. Denner