Was Re: [SEELANGS] Coredemptrix

Luciano Di Cocco luciano.dicocco at TIN.IT
Thu Sep 9 20:01:31 UTC 2010

> If I am somebody's coauthor or coworker, that person is also my
> coauthor or coworker; but if I am a copilot to a pilot, the pilot is
> not my copilot. 3a is about symmetrical relationships whereas 3b is
> about asymmetrical relationships.
>
> In the religious context, it is evidently necessary to reject the view
> that Mary is a co- anything to Jesus in meaning 3a, but seemingly co-
> in sense 3b could be used with various agent nouns to tell about her
> roles?

Official theological documents of Roman Catholic Church uses the prefix co-
with a clear 3b meaning referring to Mary in key functions. The Cathechism
of Catholic Chrurch at point 968 cites Lumen gentium (61), a document from
Vatican Council II:
"In a wholly singular way she _cooperated_ by her obedience, faith, hope,
and burning charity in the Savior's work of restoring supernatural life to
souls. For this reason she is a mother to us in the order of grace."
In the official Latin:
operi Salvatoris singulari prorsus modo _cooperata_ est, oboedientia, fide,
spe et flagrante caritate, ad vitam animarum supernaturalem restaurandam.
Quam ob causam mater nobis in ordine gratiae exstitit.
By the way in the next point clarifies the concept:
For no creature could ever be counted as equal with the Incarnate Word and
Redeemer. Just as the priesthood of Christ is shared in various ways both by
the ministers and by the faithful, and as the one goodness of God is really
communicated in different ways to His creatures, so also the unique
mediation of the Redeemer does not exclude but rather gives rise to a
manifold cooperation which is but a sharing in this one source.

The Church does not hesitate to profess this subordinate role of Mary. It
knows it through unfailing experience of it and commends it to the hearts of
the faithful, so that encouraged by this maternal help they may the more
intimately adhere to the Mediator and Redeemer.

Nulla enim creatura cum Verbo incarnato ac Redemptore connumerari umquam
potest; sed sicut sacerdotium Christi variis modis tum a ministris tum a
fideli populo participatur, et sicut una bonitas Dei in creaturis modis
diversis realiter diffunditur, ita etiam unica mediatio Redemptoris non
excludit, sed suscitat variam apud creaturas participatam ex unico fonte
cooperationem.

Tale autem munus subordinatum Mariae Ecclesia profiteri non dubitat, iugiter
experitur et fidelium cordi commendat, ut hoc materno fulti praesidio
Mediatori ac Salvatori intimius adhaereant.

Luciano Di Cocco