Russian handwriting in US classrooms in the computer age

sarah hurst sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET
Thu Sep 9 22:55:39 UTC 2010

I have to say that I am rather disturbed by the idea that today's students
no longer even need to learn Russian handwriting. Are we raising kids who
are going to be completely at a loss if they should ever find themselves
without access to a computer, cell phone or other digital device? Is such a
scenario really so implausible, especially in Russian-speaking countries
where limited internet access and power outages have been known?

It doesn't even take very long to learn handwriting but I do think it's an
essential skill for both reading and writing. What if they happen to work
with historical documents? What if a room-mate leaves them an important
note?

I hope this skill will continue to be taught. Would you similarly
contemplate not bothering to teach English-speaking kids not to write their
own language by hand?

Sarah Hurst