Russian handwriting in US classrooms in the computer age

sarah hurst sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET
Thu Sep 9 23:17:45 UTC 2010

Thanks for the clarification, Michael. I would have thought that cursive was
about writing fluently and easily rather than just for appearances' sake,
but perhaps it's possible to write quickly letter by letter too.

Sarah

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Michael Denner
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 3:06 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian handwriting in US classrooms in the computer
age

Sarah,
My students write Russian just fine. It's just not cursive. They write like
children, and the Russians probably smirk at them. Who cares? No one's
suggesting returning to a pre-literate era. It's just a bloody waste of time
to spend a week, a day, an hour on a totally unnecessary skill: Pretty
handwriting.

~mad

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
   Dr. Michael A. Denner