Coredemptrix

Ernest Sjogren esjogren at NC.RR.COM
Fri Sep 10 23:05:58 UTC 2010

> With regard to Daniel's Q.E.D., "Alice through the Looking Glass" springs
> to mind . . .

instead of a logical refutation of his argument.  You would prefer to
retreat into fiction, it appears.

"Deified" means nothing other than "made a god of; raised to the position of
a god," of course.  If your objection to referring to Mary as a deity is (if
I may summarize how the argument progressed), "no Orthodox Christian, nor
any other Christian. nor _anyone_ who has looked deeply into the matter
thinks of or would refer to Mary as a deity," then the quotations cited are
quite to the point.  You ignore "quod _est demonstratum_" at your peril.

Prof. Dumanis' assertion that "обожествлять" merely means "to admire" is
much more pertinent.  However, is it tenable?   See, for instance, the
online version of the Ushakov dictionary, which says:

ОБОЖЕСТВИ́ТЬ, обожествлю, обожествишь, ·совер. (к обожествлять), кого-что
(·книж. ). Признать имеющим сверхъестественную, божественную силу,
божеством. Древние обожествили силы природы.

[koi8-r encoding, see
<http://www.classes.ru/all-russian/russian-dictionary-Ushakov-term-37283.htm>
if my quotation is scrambled in transmission].

Ernie Sjogren