AW: [SEELANGS] color orange

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Sun Sep 12 17:06:17 UTC 2010

  Bakhalina notes examples of apel'sinnyi and apel'sinovyi but they do
not appear to be common. Pomerantsevyi from German (mentioned by John)
is also listed as existing but not common.  I should have mentioned, by
the way, that Bakhalina is available free on the net as a compressed
djvu file. I am glad Frank found examples of earlier oranzhevyi on
ruscorpora.ru - I had forgotten that, even though I have it bookmarked.
The apparent rarity of words for orange was puzzling me, and it is still
slightly mysterious that there is apparent agreement by earlier
researchers that oranzhevyi is not earlier than the 1860s.
Will