Crimea and inviolability of frontiers

FRISON Philippe Philippe.FRISON at COE.INT
Wed Sep 15 05:19:24 UTC 2010

Notwithstanding Russians' nostalgy of the past, the fact Crimea belongs
now to independant
Ukraine is linked with the legal principles of territorial integrity
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_integrity)
and of inviolability of frontiers, reaffirmed in the 1975 Helsinki Final
Act.

These principles go contrary to the people's right to
self-determination, but there has not
been much efforts from Crimeans to independance so far.

The countries which gained independance out of Yugoslavia learned dearly
(and are still experiencing)
the cost of challenging frontiers inherited from the past.

True, Crimea became only recently part of Ukraine upon a Krushchev's
decision.
The problems of Abkhazia and Southern Ossetia show the whole complexity
of such questions.

But questioning these principles would just open another Pandora's box
of territorial claims
and human horrors.

I doubt Russians would get more out of them than through difficult but
patient moves for
cooperation between Russia and its neighbour states...

As an Alsatian at least I am much conscious of that...

But of course Pushkin's "Bakhchisarayski fontan" is Russian
(notwithstanding the title, which is half Turkic).

Philippe Frison
(Strasbourg, France)