быbefore or after verb (UNCLASSIF IED)

Riley, Maureen Ms CIV USA DLI-W maureen.riley at US.ARMY.MIL
Wed Sep 15 17:45:46 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Google also registers/counts errors, grammatical and otherwise.  Yet another reason not to consider it authoritative in any way.

I'm glad the questioner repeated his question: the discussion that followed the original posting seems to have missed it entirely.

mr

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Mark Kingdom
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:38 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] бы before or after verb / быт ь / complex sentences

I don't like relying on google for these sorts of issues because it doesn't answer the heart of the question, in this case: *Is there a *difference* to the ear of a native speaker?* Is there an actual difference in meaning? Is there (as my native speaking friend suggested) a feel of "laziness" in one version? So much more reliable to ask a panel of native speaking experts (my beloved SEELANGS group), than relying on cold, heartless, number-crunching google.

Mark