быbefore or after verb (UNCLASSIF IED)

Wed Sep 15 21:41:48 UTC 2010

Sarah Hurst wrote:

> Is it just my imagination or is "on by byl" more difficult to
> pronounce than "on byl by"?

On objective grounds (mechanically speaking), I'd say neither is
especially more difficult than the other. Prosodically, two adjacent
stresses might require a bit of a pause (он... былбы), but I don't think
that rises to the level of "difficulty." In terms of point of
articulation, an English speaker might want to assimilate the alveolar
nasal to the following bilabial, but that applies equally to both.

But anything you've practiced for many years will seem easier to rattle
off automatically than something you just do occasionally. So if your
habit favors one of the options, that one will seem easier.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com