No subject

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 18 14:42:19 UTC 2010

Thanks for the suggestions re: sociolinguistics.  I also received a reply off-list with a published article of the language of the army - very interesting material!  As regards grammar books and sociolinguistics, I believe there is a huge overlap which makes the compilation of grammars an unenviable task.  While corpora provide a rich resource, they are not without caveats.  Written corpora provide examples of normally formal language; whereas when dealing with spoken corpora we are presented with language whose origin is often unclear.  Again, we need to know the demographics of the speaker, the relationship among interlocutors and formality of the situation.  Another point to bear in mind is whether or not the speakers know they are being recorded.  A recent corpora of the speech of Irish female students records the word 'Jesus' as being the strongest response token in use.  This doesn't seem to correlate with naturally occurring speech as much stronger tokens are generally uttered, so the fact they knew they were being recorded has led to a modification of speech.

We need more people on the ground doing empirical research into all the troublesome areas in order to answer our questions.

AM