Russian handwriting in US classrooms in the computer age

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Sat Sep 18 20:39:07 UTC 2010

To add some personal anecdotes to the discussion:

As an American who learned to touch-type in her teens, I can still
recite the repetitive training mantra "A S D F space, J K L semicolon L
K J"), and thus find the phonetic keyboard pretty much imperative in my
dotage. I have done MUCH typing on Russian keyboards, but my most
searing experience was as a foreign-language department secretary in
the 1970s, when I used an electric typewriter with an IBM Selectric
ball, on which the cyrillic characters purported to be the
"gosstandart" (to use my colleague's phrase), but uniformly shifted one
key to the right. Typing mimeographs and ditto-masters while shifting
between English and Russian was hell. I now joke with students that I
got my Ph.D "because "I didn't type so good," and that I NEVER would
have completed my dissertation had not the personal computer become a
fact of life in the early 1980s, when I revised draft after draft to
incorporate the changes suggested by my readers.

While there is merit in developing flexibility in fine-motor
coordination, I would suggest that is hardly the top priority in one's
linguistic-professiional development!

Melissa Smith

On 9/17/10 8:29 PM, Dustin Hosseini wrote:
> I'm not sure if anyone has thought about this, but changing the
keyboard
> layout on any PC or Mac is exceedingly easy these days.  All a student
has
> to do is add the keyboard layout and apply it.
>
> Macs come with the normal and "phonetic" Russian keyboards as a
standard.
> With PCs, and a Windows-based computer with unrestricted access can
easily
> be modified to suit the needs of the user.
>
> Therefore, these arguments about learners being faced with a Russian
> "gosstandart" keyboard layout in Russia are all completely invalid.
>
> Let the learners choose what is best for them, after all, teachers are
there
> to facilitate their learning, not dictate it.

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor
Department of Foreign Languages and
Literatures