FW: [SEELANGS] Reading list for folklore volunteers

Sibelan Forrester sforres1 at SWARTHMORE.EDU
Sun Sep 19 18:31:04 UTC 2010

Dear Genevra,

For your friend's purpose, I would strongly recommend Margaret Paxson's
SOLOVYOVO: THE STORY OF MEMORY IN A RUSSIAN VILLAGE (2005). It's full of
evocative photographs, snippets of dialogue drawn from her extensive
ethnography of villagers living in the region of Belozersk, and good
discussion of how present-day memory in a neglected part of Russia
stretches through the Soviet period into a more distant past. It's not
fiction, but it certainly grabs and holds the reader's interest.

Best wishes,

Sibelan Forrester