Tsar'-devitsa again

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sun Sep 26 05:15:50 UTC 2010

Ivan Tsarevich has entered the bedroom where she sleeps, he is excited by
her beauty, he says these words to himself and then he gets into bed with
her, "waters his horse in her well" and leaves, without having awoken her.

I like Boris Dralyuks's suggestion:
I believe our Tsarevich's negation is a kind of emphasis -- colorful
grammar, indeed.  He simply means "What a great honour (has been granted
me)!"  It's not quite litotes, but if we 'restore' an elided "малая", we get
"Что мне не малая честь!"

Best Wishes,

Robert