Tsar'-devitsa again

Mon Sep 27 07:04:56 UTC 2010

Resending because I didn't notice Boris Dralyuk was diverting replies to
his personal mailbox.

Boris Dralyuk wrote:

> I think Alexandra is quite right about the implication of challenge,
> but I don't see why you ought to jettison "honour".  Why not simply
> orient the phrase toward the future: "What a great honour it would
> be?"  That seems to handle the challenge.  Also, I read the "Chto" in
> Tarkovsky's lovely poem a bit differently; the construction there
> seems to mean "What does X matter to me, when...?"  In the fairytale,
> the "Что...?" is closer to "Какая...?" -- in other words, it's "Что
> (за)...?"
>
> What one can do with a few words!

"Challenge" is a word especially difficult to translate into Russian --
not really вызов, not really задача....

At any rate, Boris's understanding of the word must be very different
from mine if he thinks "What a great honor it would be" conveys the
slightest element of "challenge."

And since I have the floor for a moment, Russian morality (then or now,
I'm not sure) must be very different from mine if it considers sex with
a sleeping woman "honorable." What am I missing here? We would call it
"rape" and send the guy to jail.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com