CFP: Slavic Languages and Literatures Panel at the 68th Annual South Central MLA Conference, Hot Springs, October 27-29, 2011

Maria Makowiecka marynka at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 12 12:49:09 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

The Allied Session on Slavic Languages and Literatures at the South Central
MLA Convention Hot Springs, October 27-29, 2011 still needs participants.
This year's conference theme is "Sources of Inspiration." Please send me a
proposal as soon as possible, if you are interested, since the deadline is
today.

>From the SCMLA web site: "Sources of Inspiration"

Water, as we scholars know, is the source of all life and frequently its
destruction, the mythic, symbolic repository of all generative activity and
its erasure. Hot Springs, Arkansas, flows with water, the world famous
natural hot water springs for which it is named, as well as some 300 miles
of shoreline around the city via Lakes Catherine and Hamilton. Nearby are
700 miles of unspoiled shoreline on Lake Ouachita. It is fitting, then, for
scholars to come to Hot Springs, designated "City of the Arts," to consider
the nature of inspiration and creation at a true wellspring. Creativity
comes from the undoing of what is and the doing of what has not been done
before. It washes away what is known and replaces it with what may only have
been imagined. Just so in literary and language studies, we erase, undo,
remake, re-imagine. In a time when our departments in institutions of higher
learning are challenged to respond to enormous social and technological
change, to re-configure ourselves to deal with distance learning and the
delivery of online education, to deal with shifting canons, to establish
consortiums for best use of resources, to demonstrate accountability and
respect for civility, how do those of us who are the ultimate creative
communicators respond? What inspirations have come to us?

For conference details, see
<https://mail.bergen.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.southcentralml
a.org/67th-annual-conference/>
http://www.southcentralmla.org/67th-annual-conference/.

Best wishes,

Maria Makowiecka ~

Maria H. Makowiecka Ph.D.

Professor of English Department of English L-329 Bergen Community College
400 Paramus Road Paramus, NJ 07652 201-447-9281
<mailto:mmakowiecka at bergen.edu> mmakowiecka at bergen.edu

P Think before you print