Отмороженные

Thu Apr 14 22:05:33 UTC 2011

ja tu wrote:

> Отмороженный means wierd in English, implying the person does not
> want to deal or associate with something or somebody. Note: the word
> мороз comes from Greek. The literal English equivalent for it is
> morose.

There must be a typo here -- English "weird" has nothing to do with
отмороженный or with unwillingness to socialize. As used in contemporary
American English, it's something like странный, непонятный, причудливый,
фантастический. In the mouth of a person who favors conformity, it can
be pejorative ("he has some weird ideas so I avoid him"), but for most
it just means something's off the beaten track, highly unusual or different.

What word did you have in mind? "Aloof," "stand-offish," "reclusive"?

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com